Crucible is a new training programme for Christians with courage and imagination. It assumes:
- We live in a mission context and need to think like missionaries.
- We need to think creatively about church in a diverse and changing culture.
- We serve the God who constantly does new things on the margins.
Crucible runs three intensive training weekends each year to equip Christians to create church on the margins:
- 20-21 October 2007 - Creating New Churches explores the principles and practicalities of starting new churches in contemporary culture.
- 23-24 February 2008 - The Urban Challenge presents the opportunities and challenges of starting new churches on the margins in urban communities.
- 5-6 July 2008 - Emerging Church investigates the fresh expressions of church emerging on the margins of church and society.
Crucible is a partnership between Workshop, Urban Expression and ALOVE UK. Since 1983 Workshop has offered dynamic learning and fresh insights on faith, church and mission to thousands of people. For the past 8 years Urban Expression has been pioneering new churches in urban communities and networking pioneers in different urban contexts. ALOVE UK is an expression of The Salvation Army for a new generation, involving new church plants, youth-focused projects and initiatives developed in the poorest areas of Britain and Ireland.
VENUEInternational Mission Centre
24 Weoley Park Road
For participants who do not want accreditation but are simply attending one or more of the weekends (and/or an unsupervised placement), the fee is as follows: £50 per weekend or £130 for all three weekends.
However, Crucible is designed to run in tandem with Workshop. For participants who are also studying on the Workshop course, a special discount applies. A combined fee of £650 is payable. This breaks down as £530 to Workshop (a £70 discount) and £120 to Crucible (a £10 discount). There are reduced fees for unemployed participants: £40 per weekend or £110 for all three.
The course fee includes tea/coffee throughout the weekend, but not food. Participants can choose to bring their own food, eat out locally or book in for lunch and/or dinner at the International Missionary Centre. Charges for meals are as follows:
- Saturday Lunch: £5.50
- Saturday Dinner: £9.00
- Sunday Lunch: £10.00